WiFi or Wired? When to plug in

If you are in your room in a university residence hall, go wired.

You will get a dedicated and secure connection to the Internet by plugging in your computer into your room’s grey data jack. This is especially important for bandwidth-intensive activities such as streaming video, audio, and gaming. Need an ethernet cable? Pick up a free Ethernet or printer cable from the ResNet Office in Sandoz plus the Abel/Sandoz, Smith, Village, Neihardt, University Suites, Selleck, Burr and Courtyards Front Desks. Ethernet lengths are 7', 14' and 25'.  More information.

If you’re in a friend’s room or out and about on campus, use the wireless network.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln wireless network is intended as a supplement to, not a substitute for, the wired network. It is a shared resource, so available bandwidth varies. For a more secure wireless connection, please use the UNL-E encrypted wireless network.

What about my wireless printer or router?

Personal wireless routers are not allowed in the UNL Residence Halls because they cause interference with nearby UNL wireless access points.

Wireless printing is great at home, but  a large number of printers on campus create their own access point upon installation (likely without the user knowing) and cause interference with the wireless network. The following steps can be taken to ensure that your printer is not one of those devices.
    1.    Wireless printers create a great deal of interference with the UNL Wireless Networks. We recommend using a USB cable for all of your printing needs at UNL, even if your printer has wireless capabilities. It's also very important to get the wireless part turned off on your printer, even if you're using a USB cable, if the wireless part is still on, it is still broadcasting. You will know it is turned off if you no longer 'see' it as a wireless network from your laptop or tablet. For additional information please contact the manufacturer of your printer which can be found in your printer's instruction booklet.

    2.    Contact the Computer Help Center at (402) 472-3970 or toll-free (866) 472-3970, mysupport@unl.edu if you are still having trouble connecting the printer to your computer or if your laptop or mobile device sees a printer network name. We are here to help!

3. If nothing else works and you haven't gotten help from the Computer Help Center or ResNet yet, you can always power off the printer when you're not actually printing anything. This will avoid hurting your neighbors and save a lot of electricity over the course of a school year.