UNL has a site license for Symantec Antivirus. All students are encouraged to install Symantec antivirus software and it will be configured to update automatically.
IMPORTANT: You should uninstall any existing antivirus software before installing Symantec Antivirus software. Contact ResNet at 402-472-3535 or the Computer Help Desk at 402-472-3970 (or 866-472-3970 toll free) if you have questions.
Obtaining antivirus software
UNL students, faculty, and staff are covered by the site license. Go here for downloads.
If your PC might already be infected
- Unplug your computer from the network.
- Obtain a copy of McAfee AVERT Stinger. It detects and removes the most recent viruses. Go to a computer lab and save it to a floppy or contact the Computer Help Center for a CD-ROM.
- Run Stinger and clean any viruses found.
- If your computer appears to be working normally, reconnect your machine to the network and install Symantec Antivirus. If you are not sure if the problems are fixed, do not connect your machine to the network and contact ResNet or the Computer Help Center for more information.
- Visit Windows Update and make sure you have ALL critical updates installed.
- Run a full system scan with Symantec Antivirus.
- If you still have problems after completing these steps or if you have any questions, call ResNet at 402-472-3535.